Photography holidays at Gartmore House give you the chance to improve your skills in relaxed company and comfortable surroundings. We offer both weekend breaks and holidays up to 5 night stays.
Ewan Barry is a professional photographer based in Edinburgh and shoots for all kinds of businesses across Scotland. Following a successful exhibition in the Edinburgh Fringe in 2013 Ewan began running photography tours and workshops, attracting clients of all abilities from beginners to fellow professionals.
“Ewan was a great tour leader, very generous with his knowledge of photography and with fascinating insights. He guided us through making interesting photographs with an emphasis on composition. It was a hugely enjoyable and informative tour”
“There’s no absolute right or wrong when you’re making pictures but that’s not to say a little technical knowledge isn’t important. Your camera is the tool that you use to capture images and you’ll be more successful if you know how to make it do what you want. I explain why I shoot a subject in a particular way and demonstrate my way of doing things and I hope the ideas and techniques I share will act as a starting point for you to discover and make your own photographs. Reviewing the images we’ve taken at the end of a day’s shoot is one of the most valuable aspects of shooting in a group – you get to see the same subject though someone else’s eyes.” – Ewan.
What is included
- En-suite accomodation for up to 5 nights
- Expert tuition by professional photographer Ewan Barry during your stay
- Full board – full Scottish breakfast, lunch and 3-course dinners
What you will learn
- Theory and approach to photography
- Identifying potential subjects
- Creative composition
- Understanding light
- Mastering camera controls
- Image processing and finishing
The photographs you will take will be specific to Gartmore and the surrounding area but the approach and techniques learned can be used anywhere.
Day 1 – Familiarisation day. Photography in the hotel grounds, landscapes, architectural and natural details, image processing.
Day 2 – A trip to Loch Katrine for landscapes, water movement.
Day 3 – Exploring the wider Gartmore area.
Day 4 – Still life / Studio / Interiors.
Day 5 – Free shooting time / re-shoot, REVIEW, DISCUSSION AND FEEDBACK
What you will need
- A camera – ideally digital with a manual control option, but whatever you usually shoot with will be fine. Ewan loves to shoot on film but the opportunity to process and review images during your stay will be limited. Make sure you have spare batteries too.
- Laptop computer – to download, process and review images. If you don’t have laptop, you can add images to Ewan’s for reviewing and feedback but the image processing you’ll be able to do during your time at Gartmore will be limited.
- Tripod – useful for longer exposures, recording the movement of water etc. Ewan has a couple that guests can use but if you don’t want to share or wait your turn it would be best to bring one with you.
- Weather appropriate clothes – you will spend as much time outdoors in the beautiful landscape with your cameras as possible and it’s nice to be dry. Bring a few layers, something waterproof and walking shoes.
Dates and cost*
Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th June 2018 – £289 per person (2 nights) – BOOK ONLINE
Friday 13th – Monday 16th July 2018 – £299 per person (3 nights) – BOOK ONLINE
Monday 17th – Friday 21st September 2018 – £375 per person (4 nights) – BOOK ONLINE
Sunday 7th – Friday 12th October 2018 – £499 per person (5 nights) – BOOK ONLINE
Friday 16th – Sunday 18th November 2018 – £289 per person (2 nights) – BOOK ONLINE
Sunday 2nd – Friday 7th December 2018 – £499 per person (5 nights) – BOOK ONLINE
Sunday 10th – Friday 15th February 2019 – £550 per person (5 nights) – BOOK ONLINE
Friday 30th August – Sunday 1st September 2019 – £385 per person (2 nights) – BOOK ONLINE
Sunday 6th – Friday 11th October 2019 – £550 per person (5 nights) – BOOK ONLINE
How to book
Terms and Conditions
A £100 per person deposit is required to secure your booking. Full payment is due 6 weeks prior to arrival. For breaks booked within 6 weeks, full payment is required at time of booking. Breaks are subject to availability and subject to change.
*Please note the itinerary will change accordingly to accommodate shorter and longer stays. Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact our team.